Sunday, October 17, 2010

Master gardening..... without the training.

A few weeks ago I posted some picture of how our home looks now - a year after we moved in. There were lots of flower beds but no plants or shrubs or flowers. That has all changed. Let me back up a bit. To start off the week, I applied for the Master Gardener program. I went in for the interview and it was a little stressful. I haven't interviewed for anything in about a hundred years. There are many more applicants than spots for the class. I think I was one of the few applying that had a child at home. They may view that as a negative since the program requires so much time in the classroom and on field trips. Most of the applicants are much older retired folks. I would be very excited to be accepted in the program. I like the people that I have met that are master gardeners. They are very nice and helpful and people that have lots of experience with gardening and many other things. They are the kind of people that would be fun to hang out with and talk about gardening.

Now.... back to my yard.
This guy put in walkways were there were none. This makes it so much nicer when you try to get to the back of the house from the east side of the front yard.
The master gardeners that I talked to at the interview advised me to put in expanded shale with my landscaping mix and compost. It is a new product on the market that was accidentally discovered by a scientist that helps keep your beds moist therefore requiring less water to keep everything alive. Amending your soil is so important when you decide to plant something. If you have the wrong soil conditions it doesn't matter how much you water or fertilize - things just won't grow.
I accomplished all this without the training that I really need to be successful. I am hopeful that it all lives and looks even better next spring. I had a lot of help from the people at the garden center near my home.
These are the yellow knock-out roses that my dad ordered for me. I am so happy they are in the ground in their permanent home.
I don't know if you can see it well but there is a vine that I am training to grow up the side of the brick post and over the porch. I have to check it every day to make sure it is going in the right direction. It is Confederate Jasmine and will be beautiful next spring.
The window box in the front of the house with fall flowers and Cinderalla pumpkins.
The walkway to the service door.
Nothing makes me happier than a decorated pumpkin - especially when it has been decorated by my sweet daughter. She decorated this one at school and all the children sold them at the fall festival. Darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment