Saturday, April 9, 2011

15 things to know about Falling Leaf Cottage.

1. Things have been planted little by little. The goal this year is NO MISTAKES. In the past we have planed things we were drawn to in the garden center with out much thought about perennial or annual or shade or sun.
2. This year only perennials are being planted because annuals are expensive when you live on and acre. It's also really hard work planting all new plants each spring.
3. Foxglove
4. A sweet master gardener wanted to share some of her ivy that she cut out of her yard. Pass along plants are so nice.
5. In the vegetable garden things look much different than they looked last year at this time.
6. The tomatoes have gone crazy. Hopefully we will have lots to eat and share.

7. Sweet peppers are on the vine.
8. The lavender is growing in the mint bed. The mint has taken over one of the beds but that just means lots of mint for iced tea this spring and summer.
9. Hopefully the cilantro will keep doing well. I recently heard someone say they had never had luck with cilantro. I am hoping for lots of salsa and pico de gallo.
10. Last year the basil grew and grew and grew. I am hoping for the same luck this year because I love making fresh pesto. It is delicious!
11. I had no intention of growing pumpkins this year but the pumpkin seeds in the compost had another idea. After pulling up about 100 seedlings I decided to let this one grow. If I have good pollinators this year (bees) we should have pumpkins in about 90 days.
12. Tomatoes have been on the vine since about April 1. Because of the last odd bit of cold weather these plants had to have frost blankets for a long time after March 15 (average last frost date).

13. Master Gardener classes are over and I have finished the test (very difficult even though it is a take home open book test). It took me about 2 full days to finish. Now my volunteer work begins. I am looking forward to working in the the great gardens that I have chosen to fulfill my required hours.

14. Little projects continue around the house - inside and out. The washer and dryer have been moved to a much better spot and that means I have a real office now. Pictures are coming soon. A great rug was ordered from Turkey and in usual fashion it got here in 2 days and was super inexpensive. Buying directly from the rug market of the world is the ONLY way to go. I also found a wonderful seamstress on the website Etsy. Etsy is much like Ebay but it is mostly homemade goods. A sweet girl in North Carolina makes curtains out of her home and my new office curtains are just darling and SO well made.

15. I've been super busy. Where do the days go?

No comments:

Post a Comment